Friday, April 28, 2006

GreenBird


West of my house is a small pond that over the years has been silted in from neighboring farm fields. It is only 2 or 3 feet deep and literally is a frog pond. It is also a good feeding area for many birds. Today there was a Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sandpipers, Great Blue Heron, Killdeer, Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, Purple Martins, and a Green Heron. A country road goes by the pond on two sides and as I drove by on my 4 wheeler I noticed a Green Heron standing on a little mud flat. I knew from past experience that motor vehicles didn't scare him but as soon as he saw me with my long lense he would be off. So I parked so he couldn't see me and carefully walked towards him. I got three or four shots off before he spied me and away he flew.

No comments: