Sunday, April 01, 2007

Baby Owl 8 Weeks Old


This guy left the nest about a week ago. At this time of his life, he just sits around on a tree branch waiting for someone to bring him a meal. Since he doesn't fly much and mostly sits on branches of trees, he is sometimes referred to as a "brancher". Owlettes usually leave the nest when they are between 6 and 7 weeks old and start to hunt on their own at about 9 to 10 weeks. I believe this baby to be about 8 weeks old. I got fairly close to this guy, probably less than 20 feet. I can't turn my head 270 degrees like owls but I did keep looking behind me to make sure mom didn't mistake me for the enemy. His sibling is still in the nest. Either he is enjoying the extra space or he is like me - a little afraid of flying. Do mother owls go through "empty nest syndrome"? Somehow you have to believe she does.

No comments: