Monday, July 02, 2007

Cooper's Hawk Baby


I was recently asked to take pictures of baby Cooper's Hawks nesting at Douglas Hart Nature Center. They had recently fledged their nest but were returning peroidically to be fed by the parents. The nest was built fairly high in a Maple tree and the viewing was difficult. In fact, there was only one spot from which I could get a decent shot and that landed me right in the middle a large, very healthy bunch of poison ivy. Fortunately, I don't get an itchy rash from this ominous plant. That was really fortunate for me since I stood in that one spot for over an hour. There was only one baby in the nest and at first he/she was just hunkered down in the nest. However, something roused the young bird. It stood up and gave me several nice shots. This photo shown is the baby looking at me, thinking, "that fool is standing in poison ivy." Coooper's Hawks nests are fairly unusual for our area so I felt very lucky to be informed about the nest and asked to try and capture their beautiful images with my camera. What a truly special experience!

No comments: