Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Wood Stork


So this is the guy who brings the babies. I see him often in South Florida but have yet to see him carrying any small packages. I usually see him frequenting water filled ditches along roadsides. They breed south of Sanibel in very tall bald cypress trees that grow in a huge swamp . They are quite particular about the water level in that swamp. If the level is too low or too high, they will not nest because the fishing will not be not quite right to sustain their nestlings. This habit puts a stress on their numbers. I will let you know if I see one carrying a baby. I just hope he is a bit more gentle and careful than the Osprey I pictured before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see your new photos again!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.