Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Blue Grosbeak


My wife and I moved and restored an old Log House which my wife rents out as a guest house/bed and breakfast called The Osage Inn. The setting is an old meadow bordered by Oak and Hickory woodlands. Additionally, last year we planted 20 acres of native prairie grass and forbs nearby the old log house. This cabin dates back to the 1850's and has become a very popular getaway for many. Last weekend, three sisters stayed there. One of the sisters was actually born in the bedroom of the old log house when the house was still located on its original site in Missouri. Two weeks ago my daughter got married there and the setting helped make for a truly memorable event. Earlier this spring, we had very well-known bird guide authors stay at the Inn. They left us with a very precious gift - sketches in the guest book of all the birds they saw at the Inn. Today, I came across a Blue Grosbeak, the first one I have ever seen at the cabin site. I got a picture of it as it perched on the stem of a Cup Plant. It is going through its' molting process. This process involves shedding old feathers which are then replaced by new ones. When done, the Blue Grosbeaks chest will be completely blue.

1 comment:

Nick Owens said...

That's a really awesome bird, I can't say that I've ever seen one in all my outdoor adventures! Very cool!